Research Associate II, Applications Science
Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this job
The Research Associate II, Applications Science will primarily be responsible for screening new formulation technologies as they relate to cultivated meat product applications. The ideal candidate will have experience in functional ingredient testing and application, specifically around texture, color, and fat systems. You should be familiar with common food science analytical methods, such as texture analysis, rheology, moisture analysis, etc. You should be able to evaluate samples, collect data, and make it accessible for decision makers within the organization. This role requires you to be comfortable working independently, as well as collaborating with outside vendors and partners, being able to screen external technologies quickly and make recommendations on how they may impact downstream R&D. This role will require leaning on academic training, existing/current literature, and keeping abreast of novel processing/ingredient technologies targeted at improving specific product attributes.
- Independently execute ingredient application experiments.
- Under managers supervision, own project workstream including data collection and analysis.
- Aid design of experiments to screen novel functional ingredients and processing technologies.
- Engage with suppliers to identify and evaluate new ingredients; must be comfortable working with external partners when screening novel technologies.
- Own and organize operational data over experiment lifecycle.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and internal customers (product development and sensory) to meet multiple, complex project deadlines and make recommendations on product solutions.
- Summarize and present results to supervisor and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- BS in food science, food engineering, meat science, nutrition, chemistry, or other applicable field, with 4+ years of relevant experience OR M.S. in a similar field with 2+ years of related experience.
- Excels at translating primary research into practical applications.
- Experience in meat/seafood processing or alternative proteins is preferred.
- Experienced in the statistical design and execution of experiments.
- High self-accountability; being able to execute on individual commitments independently while also working collaboratively within a team.
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions and create innovative solutions.
- Great communication, report writing, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Can-do attitude, full of integrity, excited to work under our Big Tent.
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with the entire Food R&D team, from Raw Material Characterization all the way through commercialization and manufacturing.
- This role will most frequently interact with our sensory and product development teams.
Key Contributions in First Year
- Contribute to and manage multiple parts of our Product Technology Toolkit (protein, fat, color solutions).
- Identify and screen several novel processing/ingredient technologies for our cultivated meat raw materials.
- Aid in the development of multiple product solutions passed to PD and sensory for evaluation in finished products.
Compensation Range: $48,000 - $80,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Something looks off?