Director, Marketing Strategy & Planning
Marketing & Communications
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Rippling gives businesses one place to run HR, IT, and Finance. It brings together all of the workforce systems that are normally scattered across a company, like payroll, expenses, benefits, and computers. For the first time ever, you can manage and automate every part of the employee lifecycle in a single system.
Take onboarding, for example. With Rippling, you can hire a new employee anywhere in the world and set up their payroll, corporate card, computer, benefits, and even third-party apps like Slack and Microsoft 365—all within 90 seconds.
Based in San Francisco, CA, Rippling has raised $1.2B from the world’s top investors—including Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, Sequoia, Greenoaks, and Bedrock—and was named one of America's best startup employers by Forbes.
About the role
Rippling’s Marketing team has built the engine behind one of the fastest startup growth stories ever. We are rapidly launching new product lines and expanding globally, and the Marketing organization is scaling in line with this hypergrowth.
We’re looking for an experienced strategist and operator that can drive strategic alignment at the executive level but isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds. You’ll lead the Strategy & Operations team and help define our strategy across countries and Marketing motions, build the operating cadence of the organization, and address a diverse array of cross-functional business challenges.
Your work will touch all aspects of Rippling’s Growth function and will be vital in ensuring we operate efficiently as we grow to IPO scale and beyond and deploy tens of millions in capital. You will work with smart people on some of our most challenging problems, such as standing up a scalable, localized growth motion as we launch new countries at rapid pace, or figuring out how to assess and optimize our unit economics across a variety of Marketing channels and over 30 SKUs.
What you will do
- Manage and develop the Growth Strategy & Operations team
- Evaluate strategic priorities for the business and derive the team’s roadmap and resource allocation
- Help develop GTM strategies and assess how to deploy tens of millions of dollars in Marketing spend to the highest effect
- Drive our global forecasting and quarterly & annual planning cycles; help us streamline processes and improve efficiency while building towards the forecasting rigor of a public company
- Partner with Marketing, Sales and Finance teams to develop a company planning model supporting the global GTM vision
- Develop and orchestrate the internal operating cadence for a global Marketing team that facilitates quick decision-making and issue resolution
- Stand up a monthly business review that assesses the health of the Growth engine and enables the transmission of critical insights across the organization
- Evolve our cross-functional collaboration with the Finance team to ensure Budgets are being set and deployed thoughtfully and efficiently to fuel the continued growth of our business
What you will need
- 8+ years experience in a job with ample executive exposure (e.g. Business Operations, Strategy, Chief of Staff, Consulting)
- At least 2 years of experience in an operating role in a startup / growth stage company required
- Prior people management experience
- Experience developing a team roadmap and aligning plans with company priorities and cross-functional partners
- Naturally analytical mindset; you live and breathe spreadsheets and have prior experience pulling and manipulating data in SQL
- Demonstrated experience driving complex cross-functional projects
- Comfort with ambiguity, and ability to work within the organizational dynamics of a fast-growth company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, incl. executive communication
- Comfortable making decisions; ability to execute with conviction and good judgment with limited guidance; needs minimal direction in an ambiguous context to take action and then adapt quickly
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and a bias for action. We’re still a startup. You’ll have to operate with partial knowledge, get hands-on with projects, and constantly be rethinking how we do things
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics, Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rippling highly values having employees working in-office to foster a collaborative work environment and company culture. For office-based employees (employees who live within a 40 mile radius of a Rippling office), Rippling considers working in the office, at least three days a week under current policy, to be an essential function of the employee's role.
This role will receive a competitive salary + benefits + equity. The salary for US-based employees will be aligned with one of the ranges below based on location; see which tier applies to your location here.
A variety of factors are considered when determining someone’s compensation–including a candidate’s professional background, experience, and location. Final offer amounts may vary from the amounts listed below.