Head of Risk - UK
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2023
Rippling gives businesses one place to run HR, IT, and Finance. It brings together all of the workforce systems that are normally scattered across a company, like payroll, expenses, benefits, and computers. For the first time ever, you can manage and automate every part of the employee lifecycle in a single system.
Take onboarding, for example. With Rippling, you can hire a new employee anywhere in the world and set up their payroll, corporate card, computer, benefits, and even third-party apps like Slack and Microsoft 365—all within 90 seconds.
Based in San Francisco, CA, Rippling has raised $1.2B from the world’s top investors—including Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, Sequoia, Greenoaks, and Bedrock—and was named one of America's best startup employers by Forbes.
About the role
After becoming one of the fastest growing startups in the United States, Rippling is ready to up level our growth engine to scale to $1B in ARR over the next couple years, including through international expansion and the addition of new products like Global Payroll, Employer of Record, and Spend Management. The EMEA region will be central to our efforts and we are looking for leaders to take our business to the next level.
Rippling has established Rippling Payments UK Limited (“Rippling Payments UK”) for which it is seeking authorization as an electronic money institution (“EMI”) from the Financial Conduct Authority. Rippling Payments UK will be central in providing Payroll, Bill Pay, and related e-money products and services to customers in the UK and abroad.
That’s where you come in.
Rippling Payments UK is seeking an experienced Head of Risk for a new and varied role to lead the Risk function and implement and continually develop the Rippling Payments UK Risk management framework.
You will need to possess an extensive range of Risk Management skills and knowledge, with a particular focus on Payment Services and Electronic Money Issuing. You will also need to be adept at understanding and managing emerging risks for a newly FCA authorised firm that is committed to establishing itself as a key provider to the UK market.
What you will do
- Implement and embed good practices in leading the independent risk function;
- Work closely with the Rippling Payments UK CEO, Board and key Rippling Payments UK staff to establish and embed a strong and consistent risk culture;
- Produce clear reporting to senior and board level for review and to inform clear decision making in relation to risk;
- Provide considered advice to the business and support the Board on risk management matters;
- Develop, maintain, and promote the approved Risk Management Framework (RMF) which consists of the risk appetite, risk register and tools to capture all risks, provide analysis and set out clear controls to mitigate and manage ongoing risks;
- Demonstrate considered and proportionate governance and oversight arrangements are in place and operating effectively, which includes appropriate Risk committees and operation of a three lines of defensedefence risk management model;
- Ensure appropriate testing is carried out by relevant Rippling Payments UK Business Areas in response to emerging risks;
- Provide appropriate and relevant training to Rippling Payments UK staff on all risk matters and activities to ensure a consistent and effective standard is applied and maintained;
- Work with Rippling Group to align Rippling Payments UK risk activities and frameworks where appropriate, share learnings and promote a consistent application of risk culture across the business.
What you will need
- Extensive risk management experience from operating within a FCA regulated environment;Previous experience in a Head of Risk role, ideally a Senior Management Function (SMF) for Risk;
- Excellent knowledge of FCA rules and regulations relevant to the payment services sector;
- Ability to understand FCA rules and regulations relevant to the payment services sector and interpret risk managements frameworks;
- An awareness of Risk Management Frameworks as applied to an FCA regulated business;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (e.g., risk reporting, drafting / presenting reports, providing clear feedback and guidance to business owners / senior level / board level);
- Demonstrated integrity, good market knowledge and awareness and commitment to deliver good outcomes;
- Experience with positive stakeholder management at all levels of the business;
- Strong organizational skills and a strong attention to detail;
- Self-starter with ability to design, implement and embed effective risk management frameworks and related activities;
- Flexible and willing to embrace both change and technology in dynamic business environments.
Rippling highly values having employees working in-office to foster a collaborative work environment and company culture. For office-based employees (employees who live within a 40 mile radius of a Rippling office), Rippling considers working in the office, at least three days a week under current policy, to be an essential function of the employee's role.