Director of Engineering - Platform
About The Role
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Director of Engineering to lead and oversee Unity Platform engineering at Rippling. Rippling’s success comes from the strength of its platform engineering org and its ability to provide a layer of abstractions for every product team to build quickly and scale effortlessly. Providing a strong platform layer enables Rippling to build as a startup of startups.
As the Director of Engineering, you will play a pivotal role in driving the development and execution of our engineering strategy while fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence. You will collaborate closely with product management and design teams to drive the roadmap, prioritize development, ensuring the successful delivery of high-quality software solutions, and driving the continuous improvement of our engineering practices.
What You'll Do
- You will be responsible for working collaboratively with other cross-functional teams and leaders to bring together a suite of core platform products.
- Work cross functionally with design leadership and product management leadership to drive the vision and strategy of this organization
- Responsible for thinking about the team from both a platform mindset as well as a product oriented mindset
- Drive engineering initiatives such as; architectural changes, hiring process changes, engineering effectiveness, and post mortem processes
- Provide technical leadership and vision in a widely scoped engineering team.
- Capable of driving development of products and platforms in a fast paced, startup environment
- Experience building products and team from the ground up
- At least 10 years of experience in software development and delivery, with in-depth knowledge of software architectures
- At least 4 years of experience as an Engineering Manager in leading small and mid-sized development teams
- A Bachelor’s or Master's degree in computer science, information technology, or experience in a relevant field
- Solid programming skills, a track record, and passion for improving the code structure and architecture to enhance testability and maintainability
- Team development skills: ability to set a roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, offer engineering advice, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, work with team members to grow in their careers, and ensure everyone delivers quality results
- Great project management skills to lead, care about product ownership, an outstanding customer-centric mindset, and solving problems for our customers.
The platform team here at Rippling is focused on building out the foundational components of the company. The team builds both internal facing, highly scalable technologies as well as external user facing impactful products. We consider the platform team as building out the “Lego Blocks” of Rippling, in which we make building new powerful products within Rippling as easy as possible. Amongst many other platforms, we are responsible for Rippling Unity. Unity pushes the boundaries of what is possible within an “HR product”, to realize the vision of building out the OS for your company.
The team is composed of immensely talented engineers, distributed across the US, Canada, and India. We have engineering expertise from top tech companies like Uber, Twitter, Amazon, Google, and Meta. We are aimed at building the most high impactful team possible here at Rippling and are looking for highly motivated engineers to come join our team!
Rippling highly values having employees working in-office to foster a collaborative work environment and company culture. For office-based employees (employees who live within a 40 mile radius of a Rippling office), Rippling considers working in the office, at least three days a week under current policy, to be an essential function of the employee's role.
This role will receive a competitive salary + benefits + equity. The salary for US-based employees will be aligned with one of the ranges below based on location; see which tier applies to your location here.
A variety of factors are considered when determining someone’s compensation–including a candidate’s professional background, experience, and location. Final offer amounts may vary from the amounts listed below.