Software Engineer III (Retain)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
Cedar is making major improvements to the patient financial experience. On the Cedar Pay Engineering Pillar, we hope to eliminate the burden of billing for patients and providers by delivering a comprehensive, personalized, and connected financial experience.
As part of our vision to create a smoother patient billing experience, we are in need of a Software Engineer III to join our Retain squad focused on creating a flexible self-serve platform that empowers patients to efficiently pay their bills without needing to call in to their provider for help. Our team aims to balance the success of our individual clients with the ability to scale our platform.
In this position you will:
- Lead the design and implementation of new end-to-end, full stack features
- Collaborate with your product, design, and data partners to deliver new features and enhancements
- Uphold code quality standards through providing thoughtful PR reviews
- Improve our existing applications' speed and reliability
What we look for in a candidate:
- Experience leading technical problems across the stack with a strong ownership mentality, focused on delivering value (we don’t have a hard requirement, but generally this comes with at least 4-6 years of professional software development experience)
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and find comfort in ambiguity
- Excitement about our missions and want to solve problems for our patients
- Experience collaborating with product and design teams
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $170,000 - $200,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education*
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.