Product & Privacy Counsel
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
We are looking for a Product and Privacy Counsel to help provide cutting-edge, practical legal advice as we navigate rapidly evolving laws and regulations in healthcare, payments, consumer and data privacy and AI. We are a lean and mighty Legal & Compliance team supporting a growing business, so we are seeking an attorney with a growth mindset, who enjoys building and improving processes, proactively takes on new responsibilities and is excited by the challenge of providing legal services at a dynamic, emerging growth company.
- End-to-end product counseling - from the initial stages of product development and beyond - as well as provide legal advice on consumer regulatory, privacy and security laws, marketing, and technology transactions
- Collaborate with the company's product and business teams from the initial stages of product development and beyond to identify potential legal risks and provide risk-mitigation counseling.
- Contribute to the development of processes to improve our product counseling function.
- Collaborate with other Legal & Compliance Team members with respect to product, privacy and security issues
- Assist the company’s implementation teams to appropriately integrate our platform with large complex customer and vendor systems.
- Review marketing and other communications relating to products that you work on
- Draft and update form agreements regarding products and services, and negotiate product and security related changes to customer contracts, including those in MSAs and BAAs.
- Provide general legal support on a flexible, as-needed basis with respect to other areas of the business.
- Work with potential vendors and customers to understand data flows to determine privacy and data protection risks and solutions.
- Contribute as a team player to help further the status of the Legal & Compliance department as an effective, respected, and valued resource within the company
Required Skills & Experience
- JD Degree from an accredited law school and license in good standing to practice law in at least one state bar.
- 5+ years relevant legal experience at a top law firm and/or in-house (a combination of both is a plus), with minimum of 2 years focused experience in fintech, product and/or privacy. Previous healthcare/healthtech experience is a plus (but not required).
- Strong foundation in product counseling, privacy and security laws, marketing, and technology transactions, as well as the capacity and desire to be a generalist and learn new areas of law and legal skills quickly.
- Deep understanding of product and data privacy/risk issues that enables you to be able to hear and answer questions that aren't asked and translate technical and security concerns into answers understandable to non-technical lawyers.
- Keen business and legal judgment. You know when to say yes or no, but you also know when to escalate concerns.
- Self-starter, who exhibits a “can do” attitude and excels at building solid, collaborative working relationships across teams.
- Interest in the unique privacy and regulatory considerations applicable to healthcare and payments, including as they relate to the use of AI and machine learning in product- and operations-related processes.
- Experience working for a company offering platform services to large healthcare entities is a plus
- Deep understanding of data privacy and consumer facing technologies, and a strong desire to work on legal issues in these areas
Compensation Range and Benefits
- Salary Range*: $195,500 - $230,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.