Senior Software Engineer (Client Integrations)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
The Implementation Team at Cedar is made up of Software Engineers (Solutions Engineers) and Solutions Architects who are responsible for the process of getting our new clients from Discovery to Go-Live on the Cedar platform. They have a "do what it takes" entrepreneurial demeanor to getting our clients' implementations over the line - on time and of high quality.
We're seeking a Software Engineer to build implementations with provider clients after a kickoff. Software Engineers on the team will work with their peers in engineering to build and improve our integration engine while optimizing future implementations. This role is perfect for someone who wants to make an immediate impact on our business while having an opportunity for growth in various ways throughout the organization.
One of the key challenges that Cedar faces is integrating our product with provider EMRs, both from a data and a staff/patient workflow standpoint. For this role, we are seeking someone with deep expertise performing advanced configuration of and integrations with Epic. You will support teams across the Cedar suite of products in building best-in-class Epic integrations that are robust and delight our clients.
- Work autonomously and creatively in navigating and overcoming obstacles that you encounter
- Contribute to multi-functional team efforts across Cedar and our clients to deploy the Cedar platform - reliably
- Develop software to integrate with client's electronic health record (EHR) data
- While this is not a current requirement, you may occasionally travel to client sites, if safe to do so (~1 trip/year)
- Weekend On-Call Support (~Quarterly)
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5-8 years of professional software development experience.
- Familiarity with data structures, relational databases, cloud infrastructure.
- Expertise in at least one major coding language.
- Knowledge of Epic EHR
- Experience with advanced MyChart workflow configuration.
- Experience with automated extraction of data from Epic.
- Experience with automated import of third party data into Epic.
- Experience should be gained/refreshed in the past 2 years to be considered relevant for this role.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, the ability to persuade and influence others.
- Strong computer science fundamentals - a degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or similar experience.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with advanced configuration of post-visit payment workflows and third-party embeds/SSO in MyChart.
- Experience with advanced configuration of the eCheck-In workflow.
- Deep understanding of cost estimate and appointment data models in Epic.
- Experience customizing outgoing HL7 feeds from Epic.
- Deep understanding of financial assistance data models in Epic.
- Experience customizing incoming HL7 feeds to ingest data into Epic.
- Expertise in staff workflows for registration and check-in in Epic.
- Ability to map workflow elements to data elements in Epic.
- Current Epic certification relevant to the above criteria.
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $165,750 - $195,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.