Patient Success Advocate
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
The Patient Success Advocate position serves as the liaison between the patient and healthcare provider supporting our patients through the following channels: live chat, phone, and email communications. In addition, patient advocates act as account managers to holistically manage the medical billing process and anticipate potential billing issues. We believe that all patients deserve to have a pleasant and efficient healthcare billing experience.
- Manage on average 60-80 incoming and outgoing patient calls regarding medical bills
- Utilize the Cedar platform to handle all patient questions via inbound chats, phone calls and perform appropriate outbound call campaign
- Run and follow through on escalations to the healthcare provider
- Lead the payment posting process and follow up on defaulted payments
- Appropriately follow up with insurance and other third parties
- Meet assigned team and individual metrics related to satisfaction and collections performance
Skills and Experience
- 2-3 years of customer service experience via phone or call center
- 1-2 years of medical billing, insurance or related healthcare experience
- Experience navigating electronic medical record systems (preferably Athena (Centricity Business), eClinicalWorks, Medik, CareVoyant, Nextgen, and Epic)
- Proficiency in Google Suite
- Ability to toggle between multiple systems and efficient typing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self motivated individual with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to show empathy and passion for outstanding customer service
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Open to ambiguity and ever changing environment
- We’re looking for someone willing to be flexible with their schedule from time to time
- This is a fully remote position, and as a result will require access to a nice private space.
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Hourly Rate: $18.00*
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.