Senior Data Engineer
Remote · Canada
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2023
o·da·ia | \ 'oh-day-yeah
An Ancient Greek word referring to “tools of the trade.”
Learn more about our company here.
ODAIA is a remote first organization, all our positions are WFH with frequent company and team based socials, events and meetings in-person and virtually. Employees are welcome to drop into our Toronto based office hub anytime!
Reducing patients’ time to therapy by facilitating meaningful interactions with healthcare providers, through human-centric software powered by AI.
ODAIA helps pharma sales and marketing teams by using AI to understand and predict customer behaviour. Our enterprise SaaS platform MAPTUAL serves some of the most recognized Fortune 500 life sciences companies. By incorporating data and AI predictions in powerful ways, MAPTUAL’s users understand their customers (healthcare professionals, patients) on a deeper level and cater to their health needs more effectively.
ODAIAns (what we call ourselves) are inspired to reinvent the future of how non-technical people leverage data in their day-to-day lives. We are passionate about solving complex problems in data, AI, engineering, design, and product, so our customers don’t have to. We live by the notion that “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication;” and making simplicity scalable is an even bigger challenge. That’s why we have a crazy talented team led by serial entrepreneurs, tech veterans, and life sciences experts.
We’re also on a mission to build an innovative, diverse, and ego-free business, with an awesome company culture based on our values: agility, passion, ownership, trust and respect, and diversity, equity and inclusion. You’re on a mission too? We’re here for it. We put an emphasis on career development for our employees, the opportunities to grow are extensive.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Reporting to the Director, Data Management and as a member of the Data Management team, the Senior Data Engineer is passionate, curious and motivated to design and implement scalable solutions end-to-end. This high-impact position focuses on key aspects of data management including fast and efficient data onboarding, and the initial bring up of customer data into our system.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Directly contribute to solving high-impact, challenging problems in a dynamic, agile startup environment
- Work with other members of the Data Management team to build the user onboarding system to support implementation, defining a configurable infrastructure that will be used by our implementation consultants to better automate how customer data is ingested into our platform
- Develop technical solutions to satisfy the complex needs of our customers
- Represent ODAIA as a subject matter expert to our customers
- Rapidly define and implement technical data solutions
- Demonstrate and assist with the setup of best practices and develop technical and product domain expertise
- Efficiently complete the initial bring up of data into the system to ensure deployment remains on track
- Successfully manage high volume customer data ingests, building highly scalable solutions leveraging tools and services
- Build our proof of concept, applications, and other opportunities with Salesforce (integration)
- Design and build concepts that take in new data sources and build APIs to provide internal data sources
- Understand generalizations between customer data sets and continuously learn how to best interface with other solutions
- Explore customer and other third party data sources to develop and design the data warehouse
- Understand product features and provide stats on data sources
- Proactively communicate issues, create and implement solutions to improve performance and scalability
- Be a high-impact individual contributor with a strong sense of ownership to get things done
WHAT YOU BRING:
- If you think you may be overqualified, or under qualified, don’t worry - we’d love to see your resume anyway! Our team is growing and we are looking for individuals that have what it takes to help us succeed. We will consider job title adjustments better suit your current level of experience.
- 5+ years of proven experience working within Data Engineering
- Experience building streaming data platforms to ETL customer data into our solution
- Facilitate and contribute to designing, building, and deploying scalable and secure software on AWS using technologies such as ECS, RDS, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Lambda, S3, API Gateway, Cognito, SQS, etc.
- Understanding pharmaceutical data sets, healthcare or pharmacy data, etc. would be a strong asset
- Knowledge and experience working with Veeva and Salesforce CRM integrations is an asset
- Advanced understanding of professional development techniques such as Test Driven Development and CI/CD
- Prior experience in transforming and re-designing a large-scale legacy environment to a modern data platform is an asset
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design, functional design, and other design principles/patterns
- Performant SQL schema and query design
- Solid, demonstrated experience in AWS stack or an equivalent cloud platform
- Able to pair product strategy with technical execution
- Knowledge of data science or data analytics
- Laser-focus on bringing value to end-users with amazing attention to detail
- Experience delivering production-quality code for medium to large-scale products, contributing to building software from the ground up with an understanding of the full development cycle
- The ability to self-direct, take initiative, and efficiently and effectively manage projects
- Agility and the ability to quickly to adjust to meet the needs of changing priorities
- Effectively operates in complex and ambiguous scenarios, solutions focused, with superior judgment and decision making skills
- Has exceptional communication skills, understand how to influence to both technical and non-technical teams
- A continuous learner who seeks and welcomes feedback to improve
- Grand vision, low ego, and able to make a big impact
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A highly product-driven, fast paced startup culture that values agility, passion, ownership, trust, respect, diversity, and inclusion
- Tremendous growth and unique learning opportunities
- The opportunity to be part of a growing team, with a large amount of ownership and autonomy for managing things directly
- Top-notch health benefits for medical, dental, vision care, mental health, prescription drug coverage, travel insurance and alternative treatments such as acupuncture and chiropractic services
- Flexible working hours, providing great balance for personal and family life
- We focus on what we achieve and not the number of hours we clock
- We trust our employees and empower them to shape their work themselves so that they can achieve the best possible results
- An open and flexible vacation policy
- Our employees can take what they want, when they want it - as long as they get their work done, get the time approved and get things covered while they're away
- ODAIA Wellness Bonus Days
- Stock options
- A generous home office and learning allowance
- Career development and extensive learning opportunities
- Monthly or more frequent in-person company activities and events
We are a fully remote company with a hub located downtown Toronto. We have frequent virtual and in-person collaborative work sessions and socials. We leverage many synchronous and asynchronous communication tools.
Any conditional offer of employment made to a successful candidate will be subject to the full satisfaction with the results of any background and reference checks.
ACCOMMODATIONS AND ACCESSIBILITY
Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of our hiring process. For more on this, you can inquire about accommodations if you're invited to an interview.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
As an equal opportunity employer, ODAIA is committed to creating an environment that respects diversity, equity and inclusion. ODAIA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
At ODAIA, we are committed to building an environment where everyone feels included, valued, and heard. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace, and are an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.