Engineering Development Manager
Remote · Canada
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2023
o·da·ia | \ 'oh-day-yeah
An Ancient Greek word referring to “tools of the trade.”
Learn more about our company here.
ODAIA is a remote first organization, all our positions are WFH with frequent company and team based socials, events and meetings in-person and virtually. Employees are welcome to drop into our Toronto based office hub anytime!
Reducing patients’ time to therapy by facilitating meaningful interactions with healthcare providers, through human-centric software powered by AI.
ODAIA helps pharma sales and marketing teams by using AI to understand and predict customer behaviour. Our enterprise SaaS platform MAPTUAL serves some of the most recognized Fortune 500 life sciences companies. By incorporating data and AI predictions in powerful ways, MAPTUAL’s users understand their customers (healthcare professionals, patients) on a deeper level and cater to their health needs more effectively.
ODAIAns (what we call ourselves) are inspired to reinvent the future of how non-technical people leverage data in their day-to-day lives. We are passionate about solving complex problems in data, AI, engineering, design, and product, so our customers don’t have to. We live by the notion that “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication;” and making simplicity scalable is an even bigger challenge. That’s why we have a crazy talented team led by serial entrepreneurs, tech veterans, and life sciences experts.
We’re also on a mission to build an innovative, diverse, and ego-free business, with an awesome company culture based on our values: agility, passion, ownership, trust and respect, and diversity, equity and inclusion. You’re on a mission too? We’re here for it. We put an emphasis on career development for our employees, the opportunities to grow are extensive.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Engineering Development Manager is responsible for leading our high performing Full-Stack Development teams to design, implement and deliver complex technical end-to-end solutions. Working closely with the Full-Stack Team Leads, the Engineering Development Manager drives technical excellence, provides direction, support and motivation while continually coaching, mentoring and developing the team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Lead the Full-Stack Development teams, using agile software practices, to ensure the successful execution of the full development cycle and delivery of our product offerings, MAPTUAL Field and MAPTUAL Sphere, built on our MAPTUAL Platform
- Provide guidance and directly contribute to solving exciting and challenging problems
- Facilitate and contribute to designing, building, and deploying scalable and secure software on AWS using technologies such as ECS, RDS, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Lambda, S3, API Gateway, Cognito, SQS, etc.
- Lead and participate in all aspects of the product life cycle including conceptual design, development, deployment, operations and code reviews
- Provide input and influence the development process as we scale
- Facilitate and participate in inter-team and cross-functional collaborative discussions to solve problems, make decisions and drive progress
- Collaborate with Product team and other key individuals to plan and coordinate feasibility and delivery of future work and new features
- Lead by example, and ensure the team follows best practice and strives for technical and product domain expertise
- Provide guidance and support to accurately prioritize production, rapid prototyping and customer needs in a fast-paced environment
- Encourage, mentor, coach and develop members of the Development team and cross functionally
- Assist with the setup of best practices and develop technical and product domain expertise
- Ensure code quality and maintainability within the team by fully understanding architecture and tech stack, and participate in refactoring, creating standards, and improving build and test systems
- Work closely with key individuals to recruit and continue to grow the team
WHAT YOU BRING
- Proven experience leading and scaling high performance Engineering development teams, with a track record of successful delivery
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or extensive practical experience with software development
- Experience working in a leadership role in a dynamic, agile, fast growing startup environment
- Solid understanding of the full development cycle and able to lead teams to deliver production-quality code for medium to large scale products and build software from the ground up , and move the product forward
- Exceptional communication skills, understands how to influence to both technical and non-technical teams and can motivate and drive progress towards a common goal
- Understand that coding is a craft to hone rather than a tool to use
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design, functional design, and other design principles / patterns
- Advanced understanding of professional development techniques such as Test Driven Development
- Experience implementing DevOps best practices such as CI/CD
- Skilled in performant SQL schema and query design
- Highly experienced in AWS stack or an equivalent cloud platform
- Understanding of data science or data analytics
- Knowledge of cross-browser, cross-platform, security, and design constraints on the web
- Experience in React, Redux, HTML5, CSS3, Ajax, or JQuery
- Understanding of data science or data analytics is an asset
- A continuous learner who seeks and welcomes feedback to improve
- Grand vision, low ego and able to make a big impact
WHAT WE OFFER
- A highly productive driven startup culture that values agility, passion, ownership, trust, respect, diversity and inclusion
- A highly product driven environment, with tremendous growth and unique learning opportunities
- You will be part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and autonomy for managing things directly
- Tremendous growth trajectory and endless learning opportunities
- An inclusive environment, we are an equal opportunities employer and we operate with an anti-oppression mindset
- Top-notch health benefits for medical, dental, vision care, mental health, prescription drug coverage, travel insurance and alternative treatments such as acupuncture and chiropractic services
- Flexible working hours, providing great balance for personal and family life
- We focus on what we achieve and not the number of hours we clock
- We trust our employees and empower them to shape their work themselves so that they can achieve the best possible results
- An open and flexible vacation policy
- Our employees can take what they want, when they want it - as long as they get their work done, get the time approved and get things covered while they're away
- Stock option grants
- A generous home office allowance
- Career development opportunities, and a solid business model - we’re in it for the long haul!
If you think you may not check every box, don’t worry, we would love to see your resume anyway! Odaians are at core a group of great and talented people, eager to learn, take ownership, and turn ambitious ideas into reality.
We are a fully remote company with a hub located downtown Toronto. We have frequent virtual and in-person collaborative work sessions and socials. We leverage many synchronous and asynchronous communication tools.
Any conditional offer of employment made to a successful candidate will be subject to the full satisfaction with the results of any background and reference checks.
ACCOMMODATIONS AND ACCESSIBILITY
Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of our hiring process. For more on this, you can inquire about accommodations if you're invited to an interview.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
As an equal opportunity employer, ODAIA is committed to creating an environment that respects diversity, equity and inclusion. ODAIA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
At ODAIA, we are committed to building an environment where everyone feels included, valued, and heard. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace, and are an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.