Senior Data Scientist / Applied Statistician
About the Job:
We are currently looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join our Decision Science Products team. As a lead data scientist you will help us choose and develop the best statistical methods for various data and decision science products. The decision science products teams currently own experimentation, LaunchDarkly’s second largest product, and are developing additional products that rely heavily on statistics, especially sequential testing, Bayesian optimization, and various machine learning methods. We're looking for someone who can work efficiently as a lead data scientist on the decision science team getting solutions from concept to production.
Our data platform processes events from over twenty billion feature flag evaluations, and billions of experimentation metrics events daily. The core technologies we use daily include Golang, Scala, Kinesis, and Flink. As a lead data scientist you will oversee finding the appropriate statistical methods for various problems in our product space, and working with data engineers to implement those solutions at scale. You will also mentor other data scientists and work with them to deliver sound, performant statistical methods.
Your work will be used by companies from small to large, across multiple industries, allowing them to make the best business decisions possible.
- Build and expand our data and decision science products
- Design statistical solutions for new products and evolving customer needs
- Collaborate with product team to influence and deliver user-facing features
- Partner with customers to solve diverse data challenges using our products
- Promote statistics standards, tooling, and processes
- Opportunity to work on industry or academic papers for new methodologies
- Opportunity to build out a team of data scientists
- Opportunity to help educate customers via blog posts, office hours, etc.
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Economics or related quantitative field
- Proven experience and fluency in probability and statistics
- Experience building experimentation tools
- Appreciation for both frequentist and Bayesian statistics
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and empathy
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with statistics
- You value high code quality, reproducibility, and other data engineering best practices
- Experience with sequential testing
Target pay range for a Level P4 in San Francisco/Bay Area: $165,000 - $195,000
*Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), health, vision, and dental insurance, and mental health benefits in addition to salary.
LaunchDarkly operates from a place of high trust and transparency; we are happy to state the pay range for our open roles to best align with your needs. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, degree level, and location.
Modern software delivery was supposed to be the foundation for a thriving digital business but reality has proven otherwise. Slow, inefficient development cycles, costly outages, and fragmented customer experiences are preventing developers from building their best software. The LaunchDarkly platform helps developers innovate on new features faster while protecting them with a safety valve to instantly rewind when things go wrong. Developers can target product experiences to any customer segment and maximize the business impact of every feature. And by gradually rolling out new application components, they escape nightmare "big-bang" technology migrations.
The LaunchDarkly platform was built to guide engineers to the next frontier of DevOps by:
- Improving the velocity and stability of software releases, without the fear of end customer outages
- Delivering targeted experiences by easily personalizing features to customer cohorts
- Maximizing the business impact of every feature through the ability to experiment and optimize
- Coordinating the release and optimization of software to provide consistent experiences across mobile platforms and device types
- Improving the effectiveness and productivity of engineering teams, by providing insights into engineering cadence and stability
At LaunchDarkly, we believe in the power of teams. We're building a team that is humble, open, collaborative, respectful and kind. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
One of our company values is 'Widen the Circle'. Which means we seek out diversity of perspectives to get better results. We understand everyone has their own unique talents and experiences. We encourage you to apply to this role even if you don’t think you meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above. We can find out together if it's the right match for your skillset.
Do you need a disability accommodation?
Fill out this accommodations request form and someone from our People Operations team will contact you for assistance.