Engineering Manager - Search
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Front is a customer operations platform that enables support, sales, and account management teams to deliver exceptional service at scale. Front streamlines customer communication by combining the efficiency of a help desk and the familiarity of email, with automated workflows and real-time collaboration behind the scenes. With Front, teams can centralize messages across channels, route them to the right person, and unlock visibility and insights across all of their customer operations.
More than 8,000 businesses across many different industries (manufacturing, logistics, travel, financial services, tech, etc.) use Front to drive operational efficiency that prevents churn, improves retention, and propels customer growth. Backed by Sequoia Capital and Salesforce Ventures, Front has raised $204M from leading venture capital firms and independent investors including top executives at Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, Zoom, and PagerDuty. Front has received numerous Great Place to Work accolades, including Y Combinator's list of Top Companies in 2023, #4 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area™, Inc. Magazine's 2022 Best Workplaces list, Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022 List, and Best workplaces for Millennials 2022 list.
At Front, our search stack powers intelligent features and algorithms that help surface the most relevant results to users all across the product, improving product navigation, usability and delightfulness. We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to manage Front's core search team based in Paris.
To be successful in this role, you will manage a senior team of talented engineers to deliver on an ambitious roadmap, lean in on technical design and implementation, scale the team by attracting and hiring talented engineers as well as coaching future engineering leaders, and obsess about making the teams and their processes scale efficiently. This is a very collaborative role where you will partner closely with product managers, analysts, designers, and engineering managers in Paris and San Francisco.
What will you be doing?
- Grow your teams by coaching developing engineers and by attracting and hiring top talent
- Partner cross-functionally with Product and Design to innovate and execute product initiatives across the company
- Bring your engineering expertise to the team, working with them to transform ideas into features, and improve the search experience for thousands of customers
- Obsess about the architectural design, implementation, and quality of the work your teams produce
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Front’s engineering management team
What makes this role interesting?
- You’ll run the engineering team responsible for the search experience of Front, a product used by over 8,000 companies.
- Our Elasticsearch clusters house 120 TB of production data, serve 650M of search queries per day, and process 465M indexing queries per day
- Help us continue to build a diverse team and an inclusive culture based on our core values.
- Build for highly engaged users. Customers spend an average of 2.5 hours a day in Front, and 72% of Front’s monthly active users are daily active users - that’s higher even top social media companies!
What skills and experience do you need?
- Effectively recruited, mentored, and retained top talent
- 2+ years of industry experience leading teams that build highly available, large-scale distributed search systems at a large-scale internet service
- Strong track record of running teams that deliver projects of significant complexity and high levels of ambiguity
- A strong product mindset and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, low-ego and high-growth environment; you work well with all kinds of personalities and with teams across multiple geographies
- Clear, structured thinking and excellent communication skills
- Industry experience building fast, reliable, real-time web-based applications
- Knowledgeable about modern web technologies and excited to learn new ones, e.g. React, ES6, Babel, Electron
- Experience at a fast-growing B2B SaaS company
- Experience running services on AWS
What we offer
✨ Competitive salary
🤝 Equity (we are post-series D & backed by some of the best VCs in the US)
🏥 Private health insurance fully covered by Front
💪 Flexible Fridays - learn more here!
🏡 Flexibility to work from home 3 days/week (unless posted as a full-remote role)
🛋 Mental health support with Modern Health
🍼 Family planning support with Maven
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.