Backend Engineer, Infrastructure (Paris)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Front is on a mission to make work happier with the first-ever customer communication hub. Relationships are everything in business, but they’re hard to maintain as a business grows because traits like trust, compassion, and empathy are human qualities that have been difficult for technology to scale. We’ve reimagined the way businesses communicate by bringing customer conversations to the center of one’s focus. Today, nearly 8,000 businesses–including Dropbox, Airbnb, Lydia, and Saint Gobain–have discovered that they can still grow their business and keep the human touch. With $204M in funding, Front is backed by Sequoia Capital and other leading venture capital firms, as well as independent investors including top executives of Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, Zoom, and PagerDuty.
The world is on course to work happier. We believe our role is to accelerate and shape this path in three ways: the product we make, the culture we live, and the example we set. We strongly believe in our company values of transparency, high standards, collaboration, low ego, and care. And we look for candidates who reflect these same values. Employee happiness and well-being is a vital component of life at Front. We offer flexibility in work schedules via our Flexible Fridays program and host events for employees to enjoy time with their fellow Fronteers. Whether it is building Legos, playing board games, singing at Karaoke nights, watching movie marathons, or enjoying a homemade DJ set done by a Fronteer, we are always on the lookout to invent fun ways to enjoy life both in and outside of work.
Through building tools and products for other engineers, our infrastructure team acts as a team multiplier - think auto-scaling, horizontal sharding, scalable storage systems, application performance monitoring, and more. We are in the early phases of building out our next generation tenancy architecture that will support a scale orders of magnitude what we can today. Curious? Talk to us, we’d love to tell you more.
What will you be doing?
- Design and implement a new Kubernetes staging environment that engineers can spin up in under a minute
- Build tools to scale developer workflows for a >75 person engineering team, for example, schema migration automation tool to run online MySQL migrations across a large number of production database shards
- Building blocks of our next generation tenancy architecture, the foundation of our 100x scaling plan
- Troubleshoot and resolve low-level bugs and issues, e.g. memcached throughput exceeding AWS caps, network partitions in our AWS VPC
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset, we’re a product company on a mission to “advance how people work”
- Industry experience building highly available, large-scale distributed systems at a large-scale internet service
- Track record of launching and delivering projects with some level of ambiguity
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience scaling data stores such as MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Advanced Linux systems engineering skills
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems or high-throughput systems
Hybrid: This position requires being in-office at least 2 days a week
What we offer
✨ Competitive salary
🤝 Equity for permanent positions (we are post-series D & backed by some of the best VCs in the US)
🏥 Private health insurance fully covered by Front
🤩 Brand new office in Paris
💪 Flexible Fridays - learn more here!
🏡 Flexibility to work from anywhere 3 days/week (unless posted as a full-remote role)
🛋 Mental health support with Modern Health
🍼 Family planning support with Maven
See more open positions at Front
Something looks off?