Head of Electrical Engineering
HEAD OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As the Head of Electrical Engineering at Freeform, you will play a critical role in leading/building our electrical engineering team as well as helping to bring clarity and smart decision making to the overall engineering organization. The ideal candidate will have extensive technical breadth in electrical engineering concepts as well as specific expertise in architecting, designing, and developing complex electromechanical systems and/or state-of-the-art industrial automation systems. All leadership roles at Freeform are technical in nature so in addition to being a leader you will also be expected to spend a significant portion of your time working alongside the team as an individual technical contributor.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the electrical engineering team with the goal of driving continuous improvement into the R&D process and maximizing pace of development.
- Serve as the primary technical architect for all electrical elements in the system as well as lead design, analysis, and/or simulation efforts as an individual contributor where appropriate.
- Lead system level integration and validation of design efforts (testing and troubleshooting).
- Provide technical project management from conception to production when required by the size/scope of the project.
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration with the broader engineering team by working side-by-side with the software, mechanical, and process engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in electrical engineering or related field.
- 10+ years of “hands-on” experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex electrical hardware systems.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully:
- Determine functional requirements for hardware and software
- Develop conceptual designs for components and integrated systems
- Perform design and architecture trade studies
- Complete failure mode analyses that inform the design/approach to minimize technical risk, schedule risk, and cost while maximizing system safety and reliability
- Successfully lead design, development, and implementation of components and integrated systems, from start to finish
- Broad experience across analog and digital circuity design, power systems, data acquisition, image/signal processing, and control systems.
- Successful track record of leading complex multidisciplinary projects and teams.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advanced degree (Master's, PhD) from an accredited university in electrical engineering, mechatronics, robotics, or other relevant engineering field.
- 15+ years of industry experience.
- Expertise in metal additive manufacturing processes and related hardware/software development requirements.
- Experience writing software in Python and C++ to interface with electrical hardware systems.
- Direct experience with industrial automation hardware products.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $75,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?