Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer
SENIOR OPTO-MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading the design and development of custom opto-mechanical systems for the world’s most advanced metal 3D printing systems. Opto-mechanical systems lie at the heart of our technology, and your solutions will unlock new capabilities for print speed, quality, precision, and throughput. You will fully own the design of custom hardware and opto-mechanical-electrical devices, as well as implement novel laser and camera solutions to enable sophisticated closed loop control. The ideal candidate is capable of acting as the technical lead for a complex system with the ability to work across engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Design and build complex opto-mechanical systems.
- Integrate high power lasers and high speed camera solutions.
- Create drawings specifically to opto-mechanical GD&T standards.
- Establish and own the precision alignment process including method, procedure, and software used.
- Perform test and characterization of optical performance including process, equipment selection, and passing criteria.
- Work closely with our process engineering team to solve physics-based interdependencies.
- Work closely with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering teams to develop a robust and scalable system architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in optics, mechanical engineering or related technical field.
- 7+ years of experience in opto-mechanical systems design and development.
- CAD experience, including GD&T and detailed drawing documentation as it relates to opto-mechanics (ISO 10110)
- Strong mechanical engineering and physics fundamentals.
- Systems-level thinker also able to perform detailed work; has previously delivered complex opto-mechanical systems.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of opto-mechanical design experience.
- Experience with high power lasers (tens to hundreds of watts).
- Experience designing optics for industrial systems such as semiconductor (i.e. etching), laser cutting, long distance laser communication, etc.
- Ability to do system level and component level opto-mechanical tolerancing
- Experience with athermalization design, preferably with high power lasers
- Experience with STOP analysis
- Experience working around optical simulation software (Zemax or Code V)
- Hands on experience with alignment/assembly of complex optical systems
- Basic understanding of image and signal processing.
- Knowledge of motion control and kinematics.
- Experience with design of fluid or thermal systems.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?