Software Engineer (Data Platform)
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (DATA PIPELINE)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Software Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting and implementing data pipeline infrastructure to create an advanced telemetry capability on our metal 3D printing systems. You will also develop CI/CD platforms to automate the build process and allow for the seamless deployment of code. As a crucial member of the engineering team, you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team. Ultimately, your solutions will enable the first production-scale, high quality, and fully automated metal 3D printing factory.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect state-of-the art software for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system
- Develop software to collect, process, and analyze petabytes of high-rate, in-situ sensor data
- Create data processing pipelines to feed the machine learning team with critical print data
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software
- 3+ years of professional experience in software development
- Proficiency writing, deploying, and maintaining production code in an industry-standard language (preferably Rust, Python, or C++)
- Experience developing robust data pipeline software
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related field
- Experience throughout the full software development lifecycle, from concept, detailed architectural design, implementation, and testing to documentation, delivery, and maintenance
- Experience with Arrow, Parquet, Datafusion, Polars, or Ballista
- Experience with gRPC, protobufs, and flatbuffers
- Experience with computer vision, image processing, graphics rendering, and/or distributed server systems
- Proficient in developing and deploying multi-threaded applications
- Experience working with both Windows and Linux operating systems
- Experience with big data warehousing solutions and cloud computing is a plus
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing CI/CD, DevOps, or Build Systems platforms
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$145,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.