CircleCI is hiring an Engineering Manager to lead our API product engineering team. We are looking for a manager who is passionate about developing engineers, as well as leading the implementation of customer-facing APIs that are essential to our growth as a business. In this role, you will challenge and support our engineers with the individual in mind and focus on helping to build a great culture that values diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness!
This is a full-time role in the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, or Germany.
About The Team
The API team's goal is to deliver our public API to our end-users. CircleCI's API allows customers to trigger pipelines, access build data, monitor running jobs, analyze usage patterns, and so much more. The team's scope spans our entire product - lacing together sophisticated systems to provide a seamless and joyful interface for our most demanding customer use cases.
What you’ll be doing
The Engineering Manager for the API team is accountable for ensuring that the team is solving real customer challenges by delivering a high-quality API experience. This role is a people management position focused on engineering strategy and team performance as well as the growth of engineers. Your responsibilities will be people and process - in that order.
- People: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and the team through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers and support them in their career path. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging.
- Process and Collaboration: Collaborate with multi-functional teams to identify and prioritize critical use cases for our API. You will work across all of engineering to implement thoughtful collaboration processes and accelerate other teams' development within our API.
- Technical skill: You should be knowledgeable of API design and main API topics focused on reliability, high availability, scalability, and observability, such that you can act as arbiter in a technical discussion, or ask good questions of your team as they discuss a technical solution.
Who you are
- People Management: You have proven experience managing, mentoring, and training people, including establishing teams and attracting top talent. Bonus points if you have done so in a fast-paced and growing startup environment
- Remote Work: CircleCI is a remote-first company and you should have some experience leading and motivating a distributed team.
- Iteration not precision: You do not “boil the ocean” but prefer to deliver solutions incrementally, perhaps with a little bit of experimentation and innovation along the way. Experience with agile methodologies is an asset for this position.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and seek to continuously improve the teams you work with. You excel in a culture centered on open communication, strong feedback, quick experimentation, blamelessness, and embracing failure to learn from it.
- Communication: You believe in open and honest communication and work to cultivate this within the team and organization. You approach everything with an open mind and listen to different perspectives before determining a path forward.
- Technical: You have a good technical background in API design, distributed systems, and performance optimization. If you don’t have experience in all of these areas, it’s fine! As long as you are willing to learn and continuously improve yourself.
Engineering at CircleCI is Remote-Friendly
Being remote-first, we foster a culture that is inclusive of remote workers while allowing everyone to be the most productive. Read more about our remote-friendly culture here.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CircleCI is the world’s largest continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools - processing more than 3 million jobs a day - CircleCI has unique access to data on how the most effective engineering teams work, and the tools to help software companies successfully leverage the power of AI into their commercial applications. Companies like Hinge, HuggingFace, and Samsung use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.