Sr. Software Engineer
Calibrate’s mission is to change the way the world treats weight. We’re defining a new category in metabolic health that mirrors what the research shows—that weight reflects our biology, not our willpower. Our program was designed by world leaders in obesity and nutrition science to improve metabolic health and drive long-term weight loss that’s impactful, realistic, and sustainable. Obesity is America’s underlying pandemic and largest category of chronic disease, and Calibrate is closing the gap in care for 175mm adults in a $600bn market where we spend millions of dollars each year and do not lose millions of pounds.
To bring Calibrate to everyone who needs it, we’re building the first telemedicine business within the healthcare ecosystem, aligning incentives for consumers, doctors, insurers, and pharmaceutical companies. We’ve built a proprietary Vertical Pharmacy Engine to connect our members to the most efficient path to insurance coverage, paving the way for a new model of chronic disease care. Calibrate’s first product, the One-Year Metabolic Reset, brings decades of clinical research directly to consumers through a virtual program combining FDA-approved prescription medication with intensive lifestyle intervention. The 52-week structured program includes biweekly 1:1 video coaching and curriculum that spans classes, recipes, workouts, and more. A purpose-built app enables daily tracking of food, energy level, weight, and bi-weekly goals and helps members interact with their Coaching and Medical teams, while a members’ group and events calendar create additional opportunities to tap into the Calibrate community.
Calibrate’s recently launched Masters Program keeps members engaged and supported in their metabolic health beyond their first year with the same evidence-based approach that defines Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset, at a lower cost. The result is a program that sustains and builds on members’ results with improved whole-body health that enables them to embrace a new day-to-day.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our dynamic product and engineering team. As a fast-growing company, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of products and contribute to our mission. The ideal candidate is passionate about creating seamless customer experiences and enjoys solving complex infrastructure problems with elegant solutions. In this role, you will collaborate with the product team to bring customer touchpoints to life and take ownership of planning, architecting, building, and maintaining our highly scalable systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define requirements related to patient bedside monitors.
- Participate in systems-level requirements definition, architecture, design, and external communications/connectivity interface designs.
- Lead component design efforts and ensure compliance with existing interface specifications.
- Design, develop, debug, document, and release software used for communication, storage, and analysis of patient health metrics and medical information.
- Collaborate with global teams, including contract resources spread across multiple timezones.
- Ensure timely delivery of software, including design documentation and unit tests.
- Make smart engineering decisions based on your experience and take ownership of critical areas of our product.
- Lead the design, implementation, and delivery of large engineering projects that involve multiple teams.
- Mentor and guide other engineers to help them grow both technically and professionally.
- Define architectures, designs, and workflows that enable efficient collaboration with other engineers.
- Maintain code consistency within your team and with other teams you integrate with.
- Drive the company's growth in new technical domains.
- Innovate and contribute to the development of complex software solutions.
- Design and deliver complex architectures and distributed systems, collaborating with other engineers to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences in an understandable manner.
- Uphold high standards in software engineering and take ownership of the code you and your team write.
- Seek self-improvement, adapt to suggestions and feedback, and foster friendly and respectful relationships.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with a track record of shipping production-level code.
- Proficiency in frontend to backend engineering (Python/Typescript/ReactNative).
- Experience with relational databases, such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience working on applications from scratch through multiple iterations, collaborating with product and design teams.
- Deep understanding of the technical aspects behind consumer-facing web applications.
- Strong knowledge of modern web service concepts, including API design and data modeling.
- Ability to translate business problems and user requirements into robust solutions in collaboration with product and design teams.
- Collaborative mindset and enthusiasm for working with product and non-technical team members.
- Experience working with greenfield projects is a plus.
At Calibrate, we’re committed to our vision of putting our members and our teammates in control of their health. Some of our benefits for 2023 include:
- Competitive salary with opportunity for equity in an early stage, high growth business
- Generous paid time off, including an all-company holiday over Thanksgiving week
- Calibrate-funded health benefits (medical, dental, vision) - starting at zero cost to you
- Calibrate-paid disability and basic life insurance to give you peace of mind during unforeseen events
- Fertility, gynecology, and wellness support through Carrot Fertility
- Therapy on your time with free access to Headspace and Ginger
- An employee assistance program through Guardian to provide counseling across a range of personal topics
- Remote team with a headquarters in NYC
- Competitive Paid Parental Leave for parents
We’re in it together: We have an audacious mission, and we’re building a lot of things for the first time — from the first DTC pharma business within the healthcare ecosystem to the data infrastructure for providing real-world evidence in the largest category of chronic disease. It takes superpowers to build something simple and intuitive within the complex healthcare market, so we identify and work as a team from our individual points of strength. Not everyone has to be good at everything, but we know that when we harness what we’re each great at, we’re unstoppable.
Small wins create big wins: We ground every experience in optimism, recognizing and celebrating successes along the way. We break projects down into smaller components. And we focus on where we have momentum. We always plan for larger goals with the knowledge that our plans will evolve as we achieve smaller milestones.
You’re in control: While we’re headquartered in New York, we don’t let location stand in the way of the best talent — and from coaches to engineers, many of us are fully remote. Our business is multi-faceted, so each Calibrater is hired to be an expert in their piece of it — in control of their own initiatives, in control of their own impact, and in control of driving their own (real) results.
Real results matter: We’re obsessed with outcomes because when our members win, we win, and the data proves that we’ve built the best metabolic health program on the market. We’re purposeful, optimistic, and relentlessly confident that we can solve the biggest medical issue of the 21st century.
Calibrate is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members. To achieve our mission of changing the way the world treats weight, we are building an environment where every Calibrater can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do the best work of their careers. We value diversity and recruit, hire, and promote individuals solely based on talent, qualifications, competence, and merit. We evaluate candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristics as required by law and as a matter of our company values.