Senior Backend Engineer - Core Services
Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
We’re looking for a driven platform software engineer who cares deeply about their craft, and who wants to use their skills to bring about positive change in the world. Someone who is comfortable in the rapidly changing nature of a high pace environment but adept at moving relentlessly forward: doing what needs to be done to unblock projects that truly deliver value to our users.
We are growing fast, and we care about the balance between new product(s) development, handling technical debt, and architecture. The Platform Core Services team enables quick scaling of BetterUp’s technical landscape, which supports a growing customer base and geographic expansion. We build internal components that other teams use to deliver our products faster and with high quality. Join us and help us in our mission to defragment and transform our platform.
You will be frequently involved with other teams in BetterUp to design, architect, implement, and help monitor company-wide projects, as well as set a high bar for operational excellence and quality.
What you’ll do:
- End-to-end Owner:
- Own your components during the entire lifecycle, from the planning, development, (cloud) deployment, and maintenance phase.
- Build scalable and tolerant systems using container technologies (Docker, K8s) and cloud infrastructure as code (Heroku, AWS, Terraform) and internal tooling to accelerate product development cycles.
- Platform Engineer:
- Develop components that BetterUp will use to optimize for rapid growth, keeping in mind the big picture and technical debt under control.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to distill and synthesize requirements into discrete and meaningful iterations.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and tools.
- Lean and Agile Thinker:
- Work in short feedback loops and learn via data and metrics.
- Master the use of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment infrastructure to prototype and validate ideas.
- Data-driven decision maker:
- Influence the roadmap by collecting, using, and presenting data.
- Support data-driven decisions and spot opportunities for improvements and optimizations of our systems.
- Fit the technical components of your team into the business context of BetterUp.
- Growth-minded technical leader:
- Mentor and influence teammates with architecture and process decisions.
- Lead initiatives and guide teams across the company in technology investments.
- Build strong partnerships with other functions on the product team and organization.
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a senior backend engineer in a similar environment
- Alignment with BetterUp's mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- Proven track record of designing and operating distributed systems, leveraging industry best practices and modern technologies
- Excellent technical skills with proficiency in Ruby on Rails ecosystem
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS
- Curious about other teams’ challenges and biased toward raising the quality bar across the organization
- Experience in leading projects and dealing with ambiguity
- Business aware and customer-centric
- Strong analytical skills, strategic thinking, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.