Senior Full-Stack Engineer - Partner Platform
Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
We’re looking for a senior engineer who cares deeply about their craft, and who wants to use their skills to bring about positive change in the world while working in a high-performing organization. On the Partner platform team, our mission is to architect, build and operate a world class human transformation platform that lets our users live their lives with clarity, purpose and passion. You will be joining a team whose charter is to build the foundation and fabric of our Human Transformation Platform.
The ideal candidate should have a track record of building products and systems that span the full stack engineering, can build deep integrations between systems, and loves solving hard, important problems across disciplines.
We're looking for someone who is comfortable in the rapidly changing nature of a startup environment but also adept at moving relentlessly forward: doing what needs to be done to unblock projects that truly deliver value to our users. At BetterUp we delight in supporting and pushing each other to bring out the best in our colleagues, and would love someone to join the team who shares our passions for empathy, excellence, and continuous improvement. We also deeply understand that a key to peak performance is balance, and our culture is focused on providing the support our people need to be able to bring their whole selves to bear in service of our mission.
What you’ll do:
- Lead: Plan and execute projects and initiatives involving multiple developers and complex requirements, prioritizing strategically.
- Craft: Consistently deliver code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability. Maintain awareness of industry trends and tools.
- Empower: Enable team members to answer questions with data systems and processes that leverage quantitative and qualitative inputs.
- Mentor: Consistently mentor other engineers at all levels on the team. Adept at teaching and training engineers in software engineering practices.
- Lead the development and maintenance of software applications across key areas of the BetterUp Human Transformation Platform (HTP), such as Program Management, Customer Onboarding, and Ecosystem Integration. This includes focusing on aspects like HTP Value Storytelling and enhancing the Customer Platform experience.
- Contribute actively to architectural discussions, design reviews, and technical roadmaps, infusing these conversations with the spirit of playfulness and zest that sets us apart.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering a culture of health, happiness, growth, and excellence.
- Build scalable and tolerant systems, utilizing AWS and Kubernetes with Helm for efficient and reliable deployment. Ensure ongoing efficiency, scalability, and reliability with the help of DataDog for monitoring and observability.
- Develop and manage sophisticated integrations, including crafting custom connectors for HCM systems like Workday and various LMS and CRM platforms. This role requires building advanced expertise in integrating diverse systems, particularly in enhancing partner data integration and driving impactful results. Candidates should have a proven track record in successfully handling complex integration projects in similar environments.
- Actively engage in cross-functional collaboration, contributing to a team culture that values health, happiness, and growth. This role demands a balance of technical excellence and interpersonal skills, fostering an environment where playfulness and zest enhance project success and team dynamics. Your enthusiastic collaboration will be key in delivering high-quality, partner-focused software solutions, shaping the team's ability to innovate and execute effectively.
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Highly experienced and effective Senior + Full-Stack Software Engineer with the ability to solve complex problems end to end.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Strong proficiency in front-end development using Ember.js or other modern front-end technologies.
- Extensive experience in back-end development using Ruby on Rails, Python, or similar languages.
- Solid grasp of Agile product development processes (SCRUM, Kanban, Lean Startup).
- Sound understanding of SaaS/PaaS cloud architectures, especially on AWS.
- Proven experience as a frontline maintainer of high-volume consumer applications, with hands-on expertise in support and debugging in production environments.
- Comfort in ambiguous environments and a self-directed approach.
- Experience in building custom connectors for integrations, especially for HCM systems like workday.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Alignment with BetterUp's mission and ability to drive self-driven behavior change.
- Demonstrated ownership and expertise in guiding technical product roadmaps.
- Proficiency in Kubernetes and Helm for container orchestration and packaging.
- Deep experience in current web technologies like HTTP, REST, Web Sockets, etc.
- Experience in designing and maintaining scaled distributed systems.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At BetterUp, we compensate our employees fairly for their work. Base salary is determined by job-related experience, education/training, residence location, as well as market indicators. The range below is representative of base salary only and does not include equity, sales bonus plans (when applicable) and benefits. This range may be modified in the future.
The base salary range for this role is $139,000 – $209,000.