Director/Senior Director, Financial Planning and Analysis
Atomwise is a technology-enabled pharmaceutical company leveraging the power of AI to revolutionize small molecule drug discovery. The Atomwise team invented the use of deep learning for structure-based drug design; this technology underpins Atomwise’s best-in-class AI discovery engine, which is differentiated by its ability to find and optimize novel chemical matter.
Atomwise has extensively validated its discovery engine, delivering hit ID success in over 200 academic and collaboration projects-to-date including a wide-variety of protein types and numerous “hard-to-drug” targets. Atomwise is building a wholly-owned pipeline of small-molecule drug candidates, with two programs in lead-optimization and programs in immunology and oncology in the discovery stage.
The company has raised over $174 million from leading venture capital firms to advance its mission to make better medicines, faster. Learn more at atomwise.com or follow @AtomwiseInc.
About the Role
We are actively searching for a highly motivated and skilled individual to head Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A). This position will be a key leader to optimize the company’s FP&A operations, offering financial insights to drive informed decisions and strategic initiatives. The ideal candidate will bring in expensive experience crucial to Atomwise’s next stage and possess excellent communication skills to partner with cross functional leaders as well as the Executive Management Team (EMT).
- Oversee the corporate financial planning, reporting and modeling processes.
- Coordinate, communicate, and drive the corporate calendar for all planning cycles, including budget, long-range plan, and forecasts.
- Lead the annual operating plan and budget processes.
- Lead the development of long-range planning. Develop predictive models based on business driver inputs with multiple scenarios.
- Hands-on maintaining deliverables, enhancing processes, implementing systems/processes, and providing insights and guidance to support quality decision-making.
- Manage the monthly reporting process and ensure timely delivery of monthly financial statements forecasts (P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow).
- Present the EMT with actual results vs. plan, highlighting metrics to help decision making.
- Build ongoing financial forecasts and other important metrics and develop a dashboard that periodically informs senior leadership of progress against performance targets.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders and the EMT.
- Coordinate organizational alignment on resource/capital allocation and strategy.
- Develop and execute processes to allow for routine analytical reviews of company financial and operational performance, leveraging analytical resources and tools.
- Routinely communicate business, financial, and operational performance trends, historical and forecasted, using appropriate metrics to executive management.
- Align monthly BvA review and commentary process with Stakeholders.
- Communicate real-time changes in assumptions and business trends to leadership.
- Partner with People for headcount position management, creating a process for tracking and aligning budgeted positions to actual new hires.
- Own, grow, and enhance FP&A planning system and other enhanced business intelligence tools.
- Lead the effort to identify and select a scalable financial planning system.
- Drive the implementation of the system and enable the integration with the Company’s ERP system.
- Drive the enhancement and ongoing utilization of the FP&A financial system(s) and better ingrain the use of Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- Collaborate with Accounting in monthly close, financial reporting, year-end audit and quarter reviews, and preparation of GAAP financial statements.
- Provide oversight in spend management by way of contract review and PO approval to ensure budgetary alignment and prevent potential financial risk.
- Oversee industry benchmarking and peer set monitoring. Drives continuous improvement in reporting and strategic thinking.
- Develop ad-hoc financial analysis to support current and emerging initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, or related discipline. CPA/CFA/MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in corporate finance or accounting required, including 3+ years in a FP&A leadership role.
- Biotech, pharma or life sciences experience required.
- Must possess industry specific experiences, e.g. bringing assets to late stage up to commercialization, with extensive understanding of revenue forecasting, clinical development, and portfolio management.
- Able to negotiate with business partners or management and influence senior level leaders regarding matters of significance to the organization.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated history of resourcefulness and problem solving, and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated ability of performing in-depth analyses of industry market trends, company financial performance and implementing forecasting techniques.
- Strong track record of team building and managerial responsibility.
- Experience with NetSuite a plus. High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Stock compensation plan – you’ll be an Atomwise co-owner
- Platinum health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your dependents
- 401(k) retirement plan with generous company match (up to 4%)
- Flexible paid time off (PTO), 13 paid holidays, and wellness breaks for employees to spend time with their loved ones and recharge
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Account options to help save money on healthcare, daycare, and commuting
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Pet Insurance
- Funding for professional development and conference attendance
- Flexible work schedule
- Generous paid parental leave
Atomwise is an equal opportunity employer and strives to foster an inclusive workplace. Our mission is to develop better medicines faster, and we know that we need a diverse team to develop medicines that serve diverse populations. Accordingly, Atomwise does not make any employment decisions (including but not limited to, hiring, compensation, and promotions) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
Atomwise is not currently offering visa sponsorships for any position. Please only apply if eligible to work in the U.S.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
*Pay range for this role is between $195,000 - $270,000*