Director, Portfolio and Project Management
Director, Portfolio and Project Management
Atomwise is a technology-enabled pharmaceutical company leveraging the power of AI to revolutionize small molecule drug discovery. The Atomwise team invented the use of deep learning for structure-based drug design; this technology underpins Atomwise’s best-in-class AI discovery engine, which is differentiated by its ability to find and optimize novel chemical matter. Atomwise has extensively validated its discovery engine, delivering success in over 185 projects to-date including a wide-variety of protein types and numerous “hard-to-drug” targets. Atomwise is building a wholly owned pipeline of small-molecule drug candidates, with three programs in lead-optimization and over 30 programs in discovery. The company has raised over $174 million from leading venture capital firms to advance its mission to make better medicines, faster.
We are seeking a talented and highly collaborative Portfolio and Project Management professional who will bring a proven track record of managing drug development programs from early research through clinical development. The ideal candidate for this position has a passion for leading cross-functional teams, working with key internal partners, and driving positive outcomes in a positive, diverse, dynamic work environment. This role will report to the VP, Program Management. We are based in San Francisco and provide excellent opportunities for professional development and advancement.
- Partner with project team leaders to manage therapeutic projects to timely decision points from discovery to development phases.
- Lead portfolio management process, and help develop other key initiatives for the PM team (e.g., improvement and optimization initiatives, budget planning process, communications, etc.)
- Develop foundational project management tools and processes (e.g., tracking tools and templates, integrated project plans, timelines, etc.).
- Coordinate and drive programs’ strategy to completion across the various development phases within scope, timelines, and budget, and provide team recommendations to Senior Management. Serve as main point of contact for project team related information ensuring a single source of truth for projects.
- Establish and maintain integrated project timelines and ensure accurate inputs are provided by functional leads. Ensure alignment with functional representatives and overall program and company goals.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define deliverables and resources and ensure they are provided within established scope, timeline, and budget.
- Co-chair efficient and action-oriented project team meetings and strategic discussions, ensuring functional alignment with team members and other key stakeholders.
- Coordinate team operations and document, track, and archive project team activities including draft agendas and minutes and tracking of action items and project deliverables.
- Organize preparation of high-quality documents with cross-functional contributors for project team, and budget, governance and portfolio reviews, and investor relations/Board updates.
- Coordinate scenario planning to provide management with decision-making information, timelines, and costs. Identify potential risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- Oversee vendor management and Contract Research Organization operational process, including assessment and ongoing management.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of team dynamics, able to influence, coach, and motivate teams, and create an inclusive environment.
What You’ll Bring
- Master's or PhD in Life Sciences, with a minimum of 9 years of direct project management experience in the biotech/pharma industry.
- Excellent working knowledge of drug discovery research and drug development; direct PM experience managing drug development programs from research to Phase 2 required.
- Previous experience in managing IND preparation, strategy and timelines required.
- Strong leadership presence in cross-functional teams, skilled in facilitation and negotiation, influence without authority, provision of strategic and operational guidance and helping teams to prioritize.
- Proven ability to manage a range of complex, high-impact projects simultaneously.
- Excellent in conflict management and resolution, able to cut to the heart of a problem, identify resolution, translate strategy into action, and build consensus around the solution.
- Outstanding organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, able to summarize and present complex information in a clear and concise manner across all levels within the company and readily access documentation when needed.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, able to proactively identify issues or challenges from a scientific, legal, privacy, and business perspective.
- Proven ability to enable high-performing teams and build strong relationships with team members and other stakeholders as the go to trusted team member.
- Advanced knowledge and skill with PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and other reporting and tracking tools; experience with Smartsheet a plus.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) or other PM certification equivalent a plus.
Compensation & benefits
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Stock compensation plan – you’ll be an Atomwise co-owner
- Platinum health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your dependents
- 401(k) retirement plan with generous company match (up to 4%)
- Flexible paid time off (PTO), 13 paid holidays, and wellness breaks for employees to spend time with their loved ones and recharge
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Account options to help save money on healthcare, daycare, and commuting
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Pet Insurance
- Funding for professional development and conference attendance
- Flexible work schedule
- Generous paid parental leave
- High performance culture
- Great colleagues
- Possible hybrid or remote
Atomwise is an equal opportunity employer and strives to foster an inclusive workplace. Our mission is to develop better medicines faster, and we know that we need a diverse team to develop medicines that serve diverse populations. Accordingly, Atomwise does not make any employment decisions (including but not limited to, hiring, compensation, and promotions) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
Atomwise is not currently offering visa sponsorships for any position. Please only apply if eligible to work in the U.S.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
* Pay range for this role is between $200,000 - $240,000 *
Something looks off?